I pledged to do 29 new things for Feb. 29 and I barely squeaked by before the stroke of midnight:
On Feb. 29, The Modern Gal …
1. Watched an episode of How I Met Your Mother that I’d never seen.
2. Put together a new combination of clothing items.
3. Talked to someone on the phone (for work) whom I’d never called before
4. Went to a sushi bar that I’d never been before where I …
5. Tasted a sushi roll I’d never tried.
6. Sampled new hand lotion that made me keep sniffing my hands for the next two hours.
7. Bought new socks.
8. Went to a new coffeehouse.
9. Visited a new store where I …
10. Bought new greeting cards.
11. Took a new route home after lunch (out of necessity).
12. Commented on a blog I’d never read before.
13. Engaged in a Friday afternoon makeout session with the modern beau (we just took the long distance part out of our relationship. this opportunity hadn’t presented itself yet).
14. Tried a workout machine at the gym that I’d never used before (and consequently feeling the pain).
15. Dined on a frozen pizza I’d never tried before (yum) while …
16. Drinking a wine I’d never tried before (it was okay).
17. Read a new magazine.
18. Learned some new facts about runways on Modern Marvels (shut up. I love that show).
19. Started burning a new candle.
20. Scrubbed my feet in the shower with a new footscrub.
21. Sprayed a new body scent on myself.
22. Put a new coat of polish on my nails.
23. Went out into a social setting with wet hair (out of necessity).
24. Bought a new hairdryer (out of necessity).
25. Went to a movie theater I’d never been to where I …
26. Saw a new movie (yes I was behind and yes, I LOVED IT).
27. Laughed at the following shirt that I couldn’t believe was being sold at Wal-Mart (the fine print says “It’s Hell without Him”):
28. Bought a new CD.
29. Came to the conclusion that doing 29 new things in one day is really frickin’ ambitious.
Some new things I did not do today that I wanted to: Go to the local art museum (closed for a special engagement); buy the Juno soundtrack (Wal-Mart didn’t sell it and it was too late for Borders to be open); discover a new book (ran out of time).
Some things I learned today: I miss the cheese to my macaroni, who only got to participate in three of the above activities before going away for the weekend; doing so many new things would have been easier/more fun with him; it also would have been easier to achieve so many new things had I decided to do so before 11:30 a.m.; I probably spent more money trying to achieve 29 new things than I would have otherwise.