Four years ago, back in the days when I posted to this blog not once but twice daily (those were the days), I decided to do 29 new things on Feb. 29. Rereading that post is like looking at a time capsule of my life. That day I discovered my now-favorite sushi restaurant and now-favorite movie theater and launched an obsession with Domino magazine (may it RIP). I’m also blown away by how different and how much better my life is four years later.
As luck, I suppose, would have it, I have this Leap Day off of work again. I smell a tradition. Unfortunately, because having a day off during the week means I’m working through the weekend, I’m going to have to spend a chunk of the day dedicated to homework and packing for a little four-day trip for work that starts tonight, so I don’t think trying 29 new things this Feb. 29 is feasible.
But in the spirit of celebrating Leap Day, I’ve decided to mark 29 things that make me happy this Feb. 29. Gratitude is a good way to stay centered, and with as crazy as my life has been lately I’ve got a few qi leaks that need plugging.
29 things that made me happy on Feb. 29
1. Waking up to find both dogs snuggled up to me like a stack of spoons. I’m sure if someone had seen us, they would have found it really freakin’ adorable. That is, until I started screaming because of an intruder in the bedroom.
2. Not having to roll straight out of bed and into my home office to do work.
3. Having a piece of dark chocolate bacon bar with my coffee this morning. It doesn’t so much taste like bacon as it does a salty dark chocolate Nestle Crunch bar. Trust me, it’s amazing.
4. This discussion on A Practical Wedding about successful women and anxiety. I think more and more women experience this as they try to have it all, so these discussions are so important.
5. This entry on my Lenten calendar.
6. Having the windows open in February. Not to be confused with the actual weather, which makes me terrified about the chance of tornadoes and makes my sinuses crazy.
7. I wasn’t necessarily happy but instead thankful about a former colleague opening up about his struggle with depression and his decision to seek help for it.
8. Discovering I got three unexplained bonus points on a class assignment from last week that I half-assed and turned in with three minutes to spare.
9. Getting all the homework done for one of my two classes (and next week is Spring Break, woot! Bring on
Cancun! Happy Hour!)
10. The Modern Love Machine coming home from work early today, especially pleasing after he came home so late yesterday.
11. Being goofy with the MLM.
12. Get cheap Chinese food for dinner.
13. Not getting an upset stomach from the cheap Chinese food.
14. Seeing a video of my 13-month-old Goddaughter toddling around.
15. Wearing my Toms shoes and a sky-blue velour hoodie all day today (being a fashion victim is a choice we all have to make.)
16. That the threat of severe weather is keeping me from leaving for the aforementioned work trip tonight, therefore allowing me an extra night in my own bed with the MLM.
17. My ability to comfortably pack four days’ worth of clothes into a small piece of luggage. There was a time in my life when I was unable to pack for an overnight trip in a small suitcase because I didn’t know how to pack.
18. Polishing off a week’s worth of Apartment Therapy house tours.
19. Having quiet reading time wrapped up in a blanket in one of our comfy living room chairs.
20. Having a dog join me in the chair and keeping my lap warm.
21. Getting half of the homework done for my other class. Midterm week is turning out not to be so bad, after all.
22. Being spared by the threat of severe weather for another unstably warm evening.
23. Staying up to watch a basketball game that turned out to be a really good game.
24. Looking forward to seeing my mother this weekend. She’s going to accompany me on my little work trip, which isn’t as odd as it sounds.
25. The picture on this Cute Overload post.
26. The Grizzlies won tonight, six wins in seven games. (BTW, I’m a Grizzlies fan now. I grew up in Memphis, so it’s acceptable, though I’m still coming to terms with being an NBA fan.)
27. Appreciating just how much better and happier my life is now than it was on this day four years ago.
28. Getting to curl up in a comfy bed with the MLM.
29. Finding 29 things that make me happy in a single day.